Real Men Wear Pink

A Day in the Life of Brayden

Real men wear pink?  I have joked about my house being locked up tighter than Fort Knox.   Let me explain.  Water is fascinating at our house.  One day Brayden left the sink running and it filled up our entire holding tank.  We love to turn on the shower and shower clothing and all.  This has resulted in all of the bathroom doors of the house locked.  If you want to get into the bathroom you need to use the key “paperclip” on the command hook.  You have to use a butter knife to get into my laundry room, and the lock downstairs to the storage room I can’t even get open.  I often walk outside to use my house key if I need to access the storage area.  Brayden loves to escape the house.  He loves to run up the road and sift the gravel at the neighbors.  He loves to run out to the swing set and swing or play with the wood chips.

The lower level of our house is where Brayden has his therapy room.  It is full of sensory items.  As I make supper I can hear his swing going back and forth on the ceiling.  Abby is clearing the kitchen table. It is littered with laundry.  As she takes it around the house she unlocks the bathroom and sets the hand towels on the sink.  Elly is gone at church camp so Abby opens Elly’s door and sets her clothes on her bed.  Suddenly I pause for a moment things are quiet, too quiet.  I don’t hear Brayden humming, I don’t hear the swing.  This is when I know I trouble is brewing.  As I run through hollering “Brayden, Brayden, the thought goes through my mind, he is outside.  As I scan the yard.  I then hear  a giggle and water running.  I open the bathroom door.  The sink is plugged with the hand towels all of the toiletries are in the sink.  There is standing water on the floor.  Brayden is pink!!!  At first I thought it was that horrible pink lipstick I got from Ipsy.  I hollered, “Chad, you have to see your son,”. As I put him in the shower I realize that this pink color isn’t coming off.   I tell Chad he needs to find out where this mess started.  Slime is a product that has been banned at my house.  It is just too messy.  My kids just can’t seem to keep it out of the hands of the boys.  As we open Elly’s door it looks like someone sprayed pink spray paint.  There is pink everywhere.  The woodwork, the walls, the dressers, the bedding, every drawer that wasn’t closed as it should have been.  We discover that it is pink food coloring.  That dreaded ingredient was left over from the slime. Brayden loves small plastic objects.  He loves the sound things make when she shakes them by his ear,  the food coloring container met all the criteria as the perfect toy.
Chad and I are now on disaster control.  We stripped the bed, sprayed oxiclean on all the clothes, scrubbed the dresser, walls, and window ledge.  Chad’s hands are neon pink as well as mine.  To make a long story short food coloring does not come out of walls, wood, or dressers.  The walls needed to be repainted, the trim and doors refinished, the ceiling in the basement repaired.  Chad was teased at work all day for having pink hands.  I know that this could happen to any parent at any time.  I also know that a service dog wouldn’t help this situation but I thought you might get a laugh at this story and picture.

Comments

Popular Posts