Hair Cuts

A Day in the Life of Brayden...Hair Cuts

Let’s talk hair cuts.  Every child hates haircuts.  I am not sure what it is.  The plastic squeaky chair, the itchy Velcro of the cape, the spritz of the water, the hum of the clippers or the snip of the scissors.  But haircuts can be a challenge.

We took Brayden in for a haircut a few weeks back.  We go to Kay’s Barber shop in Cadott.  Kay is so wonderful with him.  Brayden’s sensory needs have shifted.  There was a time when he hated the clippers so Kay bought a softer humming one and used a scissors that day.  The next time he loved the vibration of the clippers. She is so patient.  I usually hold Brayden on my lap, he won’t wear a cape, and she cuts his hair.  I have my arms wrapped around him like an octopus.  He has licked on a sucker Kay provided and there was a time when Nemo was a great distraction. However, Kay recently moved into a new building.  Perhaps it was the change, maybe the smells, maybe a new sound, but when I could barely get him through the door I knew this haircut was going to be a challenge.  I sat down in the chair and Kay quietly talked with him.  She always tells him how handsome he is and that he is a good boy.  She is so kind.  She gently spritzed his hair and he panicked.  I have my legs wrapped around his, my hands are holding his sweet face and I realize I have no hands left.  I thought well this isn’t going to work.  Suddenly I sweet, quiet, voice says, “do you mind if I help?”   It was Mrs. Mengel.  She is the 4-k teacher at the school.  “Is is okay if I take his hands?”  I am sure my face went from shock, to relief, to tears.   As she gently held and stroked his hands she talked to him.  She asked him about his summer, she talked to him as she would have one of her own children.  By this time tears are streaming down my face.  The kindness of a stranger.  She reached out to help when she could of just sat back and watched.  Kay quickly cut his hair.  I continued to squish his face and tell him how great he was doing. 
    Thank you Mrs. Mengel and Kay.  Your kindness, patience, and understanding really touches a mother’s heart.  There are so many good people in the world. A simple gesture and kind word really goes a long way.❤️

Comments

Popular Posts